- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed + 1/2 cup white sugar OR*
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed + 3/4 cup white sugar*
- 1 tbsp molasses OR 2 tsp molasses*
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup 72% dark chocolate
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Melt butter. Set it aside to let it cool somewhat.
- Chop up dark chocolate. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda together in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter, oil, sugar, and molasses using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla extract.
- Lower mixer speed and add flour mixture in 3-4 batches (1 portion at a time), mixing for a few seconds each time and scraping down the sides in between. For the last batch, right before the flour is completely incorporated, stop using the mixer and fold in chocolate chips by hand. This will mix the rest of the flour in as well as prevent over-mixing.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. (Up to 72)
- Bake golf ball sized scoops at 350˚F for 11-13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Optional: sprinkle some coarse sea salt on top before baking.
*1/2 cup brown sugar, packed + 1/2 cup white sugar + 1 tbsp molasses for dense, chewy cookies (see photo below)
*1/4 cup brown sugar, packed + 3/4 cup white sugar + 2 tsp molasses for crisper, fluffier cookies (see photo below)